Monday, November 16, 2015

Bullshit Limit Achieved

I think that everyone has a limit of bullshit that they can withstand.  Sooner or later, something is going to fill up the bullshit bucket until it can hold no more, and you've got to find a way to alleviate the mental pain.  Whether it's a crazy ex, a dead end job, or that asshole who cut you off on your way to work, no one has a bottomless bullshit bucket, and today proves that I am no different.

In the wake of the recent attacks in Paris (and Libya, but no one is taking about the victims of that attack), several governors have announced that their states will not accept any Syria refugees, my state’s own governor included.  In addition, I've seen posts from people whom I've considered to be my friends agreeing with these decisions in some of the most vulgar and ignorant ways imaginable.

Well, I've had it.

My natural inclination is to present facts to support the argument that these people are not only fleeing the civil war in Syria, but also fleeing ISIS; however, I'm really in no mood to be told how naïve I am for not automatically assuming that the Syrian refugees would be coming here to kill us all.  Heaven forbid I mention that ISIS has killed far more Muslims than any other religious group -  I'd certainly be labeled a “libtard”, or some other clever insult for my trouble.

Here is where my bullshit bucket comes into play – each and every one of these people are self-proclaimed Christians.  Now, I am admittedly no expert, but all I do know about Christianity is that giving refuge to those fleeing war torn Syria is precisely what Jesus would do.  Those posting this xenophobic garbage are also über-patriotic Americans, or so they would tell you.  Perhaps I should remind them of what’s inscribed on the Statue of Liberty,

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

…or, maybe not.  As far as they're concerned, for the Syrian refugees, we should turn off the lamp and shut the door – your kind isn't welcome here.  What an exceedingly All-American, “we are a Christian nation”, attitude.

America’s closed, folks.  Moose out front should have told ya.


No comments: